Saturday, December 29, 2007

Boredom

It can get to be quite boring around here believe it or not. Mary Deborah, remember we were going to make sure I had sudoku books and Diversity Committee I should have brought that work to do. Because things are kinda in shut down mode until the election results happen there is not much to do in Nakuru. The Children's Center that I came to help has been closed since Monday and will stay that way until after new years. I have done a day trip up to Lake Navaisha which was an adventure and quite enjoyable, but financially, I can't really afford $50 trips everyday. So we sit around the house and listen to my ipod. Yesterday we bought some video cassettes (my house has no DVD player) from the Supermarket. My roommate Luke had the brilliant idea of ordering Pizza and drinking beer while watching our movies. Well, every Kenyan in our house is glued to the TV screen watching election results (it feels like the Gore/Bush campaign of 2000) the way the results are trickling in. I totally understand why they want to be watching that, but I have to say that we were disappointed that we weren't going to watch our movie, but hey, we still had Pizza coming, right. . .nope. Wrong again. The Pizza place closed at 8pm and we didn't call until 8:30. So no Pizza. And since I hate beer. . .I didn't have that. I thought at least I could be happy for my roommate who would get to enjoy his beer. Well, he had put the beer in a plastic flask and stuck it in the refrigerator to get cold. By the time he drank it he said that it tasted like throw up. We ended up going to sleep around 9:30 after listening to Dixie Chicks, Traveling Soldier about 200 times and oh yeah we threw in the Nickelbeck song, Are We Having Fun Yet?

I always brag that I don't really know what boredom is because I can always find something to do. . .well, after being here this week, I will never say that again.

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

sorry sis, I hope that you start having fun soon. You will enjoy your trip to Masia Mara next week. Call ya later.

Unknown said...

Oh Toni, it may be boring now, but think of all the stories you'll be able to tell about how beer from a plastic flask chilled in a Kenyan cooler tastes like vomit. I mean, come on, how many people will have stories like that? Okay, so it's not really your story...but you were there.

Unknown said...

Also, Happy New Year! You know how they say what you're doing on New Year's is what to expect for the whole year. I hope your year will be filled with adventure, learning, new experiences, making new friends, impacting children's lives, and having all of your friends and family think of and love you so much-as we do right now. I love you.

christel said...

Hey Toni! Finally First class is working again and I can visit your blog! The technology in Kenya may be slow, but at least it's working. Anwyay, it has been so fun reading all of your entries at once! You've got to teach me that phrase in Swahili when you get back! That story is priceless. I'm sorry to hear you are cooped up in the hotel. I tried to call, but havent' had any luck getting through yet...i'll try again later. I can't wait to see you! I know we all miss you very much. Travel safely. Hopefully I'll get a call through to you soon. Love, Christel. PS: Charlie says Hi :)